How can you change your life in 60 days or less? Start meditating. In this article, I will share with you the best way to start meditating daily.
I have been meditating for the past 8 years or so, and I can say wholeheartedly that it has been the #1 habit I picked up over the years. Meditation completely changes you as a person, the way you think, and your outlook on life. I hope this article will inspire you to start and I’m glad to share this gift with you today.
Why should you start meditating in the first place? Well, when you meditate on a daily basis – amazing things start to happen. It’s very hard to pinpoint the exact changes and benefits that take effect, but I’ll try anyway.
The more you meditate, the more you’ll be attuned to new and inspiring ideas, you will start looking at the world in different ways – and make many new connections.
There are many more benefits such as:
- Memory improvement
- Increasing Creativity
- Mental health improvement
- Focusing on the present
- Decreasing stress
- and much more to explore
If you are just starting out with meditation I recommend starting with 5 minutes a day for the first week or two. Add 2 minutes every week until you get to 15-20 minutes. If you miss some days it’s fine but aim for at least 3-4 days that you will 100% meditate or else you will not see many benefits. Like everything the more you practice the easier and better it gets.
So for the practical steps to meditating:
1. Set the mood, find a quiet place without disruptions
2. Turn off notifications on your phone
3. Put a meditation playlist on Spotify\Apple\else (recommended but not a must)
* Recommended- light up some essential oils to really change your atmosphere.
4. Set the timer to 5 minutes and silence your phone. (Don’t forget to increase gradually every few days – once a week)
5. Sit down with your legs crossed and close your eyes
6. Focus on your breathing – and on it only.
7. Inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth – with a short delay between. (5 seconds inhale, 3 seconds hold it inside, 5 seconds exhale ) * as you practice it breathing will become second nature – it’s just to give you some general framework – there’s no need to count the seconds other than the first few times.
8. Focus on your breathing, let all thoughts go. If a thought arises imagine a hand moving it aside for a later moment and go back to your breathing.Thoughts will surely arise and will try to distract you. The more you practice the better control you will gain over those thoughts.
That’s it. You are now ready to go and start meditating. It’s really that easy – all it takes is to practice and focus on the craft – that is the challenging aspect of it.
Guidelines and tips for a better meditation
When you get too deep meditation you will feel as if your breath is guiding you. You will feel a deep sense of awareness. Don’t stress if that doesn’t happen straight away, it will happen in time with practice.
For now, focus on getting the habit right and getting to that 15 min mark where you feel comfortable sitting still and breathing.
Sometimes amazing visuals will start showing in your mind. It is fine to enjoy them but do not chase them. If you start expecting anything from a session it will be a lost session, you have to let go and trust the process.
Not every meditation will be amazing and life-changing. Some will be mundane and hard. But again the more you practice the easier it gets. Keep to it for a few months before you make any assumptions and try not to check your process every day. Hope you enjoy this guide and have calming, relaxing meditations. I am sure you will already feel the benefits after the first session.
Different types of meditations
There are many more types of meditation as walking meditation, visualization meditation, Chakra healing, Magnetism meditations and much more. This one is the most simple type and it’s traditional name is Za-Zen. It’s my personal favorite for its simplicity and elegance. If you’d like to learn more about different types of meditations, how to practice them, and learn more about the science and benefits of it – my friend has created a spectacular guide on the subject called “Modern Meditation”. You can check it out here.
If you enjoyed this article, please share it with others and leave a reply down below! I will upload another article diving deeper into the benefits and superpowers you can gain through meditating regularly.